Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Coolest Church You'll Ever See

After pirating around Genova, Operation: RELAXAFTERACRAZYYEAR commenced as Emily and I hopped on a cruise ship out of Savona for a few days of island-/port-hopping and unlimited drinks ;)

First stop: Barcelona!

Let me just say, Barcelona is awesome. Really. 

Right off the boat we ran into a cool metal art thing. So out came the camera!


We stumbled on a massive covered open-air market which was full of stands selling pure fruit juices. They were delicious:

 

Barcelona was home to Antoni Gaudi, an incredible and fascinating architect. this was a house he designed (and I think lived in for a while). The line was too long to go inside, but the outside is pretty great:


Next, the Sagrada Familia. Ho. Ly. Shit. This church is cool.

There was construction covering most of the outside so I didn't get a good shot of it, but in the bottom portion you can see a bunch of scenes from Jesus's life/death in jagged sculpture.


But the inside...


(no words necessary...)


Spiral staircase? Yes please. 


pretty...


We exited on the other side, which was a completely different esthetic from the front, and showed images from Jesus's birth. This soldier caught my eye. Just, you know, killin babies..


Due to limited port-time, we had to cut our sight-seeing short, in favor of obligatory Tapas and Sangria.



Note: in Barcelona, the tapas plates are much bigger than tapas plates we have in the U.S. An afternoon snack turned out to be a very filling dinner. Totally worth it.

Barcelona, I'll be back!

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I visited that church in 2002, and the inside wasn't open then. Great to see it. I like how you noticed the baby-killing soldier, and I took a photo of a bassoon-playing angel, which I sent to Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, on the modern passion sculpture, did you notice anything unique about the soldiers' helmets?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually have a photo of that scene - I took it just for the soldiers. They're very sci-fi-ish. Is there something else I should recognize?

    ReplyDelete